Thursday, January 29, 2009

What I Love about my mom

There is a concept, an idea, a thought: I don't want to be average. I got that from my mom.

She, from a small southern town in Alabama always stressed; "When you open your mouth, nobody should be able to tell where you come from." The second thing she stressed is work. She did not wait or depend on the government. She worked.


She worked. She paid her mortgage. She bought our food with cash. She did not want public housing or food stamps..."It's not my pedigree."

Because of that, work is my philosophy today. You may be a little smarter than me, you may have more connections than me, you might have more talent than me or a few more other things than me, but I will not be out worked or out hustled. I will not. If we run a race, one of two things will happen: you will quit or I'm going to die. It is that simple. And I do not die. You are not going to out work me. I get up very early and go to bed late. Work full time, school and a business. Hard work is the who, the what I am. I even named one of my businesses with that name.

...And this hard work ethic that I love about my mom is what I love about my grandmothers, my cousins, my sisters, my friends and all women who work and work hard. Work to provide for their families. Not waiting on the government for public housing and food stamps. Loving and wanting a man instead of needing one.



HardWork...

This is my pedigree!

No comments: